06 March 2009

Mr. Foote Goes Home

It is with great sorrow that I mark the passing of the author Horton Foote. Since he lived to 92, one can hardly fault him for leaving the stage too soon; his was a life well spent, and well shared. Yet I shall miss him sorely, as one misses any loved one, any family member, any kindred spirit. Somewhere, a carillon is pealing, for a mighty angel has gotten his wings.

On this, the 173rd anniversary of the fall of the Alamo, I conclude with an old hymn, one that figures in the film of his masterpiece, The Trip to Bountiful, and that speaks to his screenplay, Tender Mercies.

Softly and tenderly, Jesus is calling,
Calling for you and for me;
Patiently Jesus is waiting and watching,
Watching for you and for me!

Refrain:
Come home, come home,
Come home, come home,
Ye who are weary, come home!
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,
Calling, “O, sinner, come home!”

Why should we tarry when Jesus is pleading,
Pleading for you and for me?
Why should we linger and heed not His mercies,
Mercies for you and for me!

Refrain

O, for the wonderful love He has promised,
Promised for you and for me!
Though we have sinned, He has mercy and pardon,
Pardon for you and for me.

Refrain


1 comment:

Girl From Texas said...

I saw a memorial peice on him on the news, and had forgotten that he wrote the screenplay for To Kill A Mockingbird, which is one of the better book-to-film adaptations around