05 September 2007

Holiday Snaps

Joshua White contemplates the air-speed velocity
of an unladen European swallow

My friends Kara and Konrad gave me a digital camera last spring, and as will become immediately apparent, I have a great deal yet to learn about its applications. For instance, although this image (like those that follow) is properly oriented when I open the file on my laptop, it falls on its side when I transfer it to the blog. Eventually, I will figure out how to correct this anomaly, but in the meantime there is no reason to deny you the pleasures of my roving photographic eye. In order to view the images, simply turn your computer on its side.

I depart this afternoon for Corsica, the wild beauty of which will doubtless inspire me to take a few more pictures. Moreover, I'll be attending the Festival du Chant Lyrique de Cap Corse, presided over by the irrepressible Jacques Scaglia, with the great French baritone and bon vivant Gabriel Bacquier and his wife, soprano and teacher Michèle Command, in attendance. Ya gotta get a picture of that, right? Mercifully, my hosts in Corsica, Jacques' daughter Rita and her husband, Pascal, are both professional photographers. Presumably they can give me a few pointers.

Failing that, I simply won't try to take any vertical pictures: everything will be horizontal.

Freemasonry opens doors: At a shop in Great Queen Street,
Joshua examines mystic accoutrements

Why can't the English teach their children? Joshua White has every reason to know the Monty Python canon by heart — yet he can't quote a single sketch. Not even the Dead Parrot. Nevertheless, I asked him to pose for a few Python-inspired pictures while I was in London last month, in honor (or honour) of our absent friend, Jon Feldstein.

Carlene Klein Ginbsurg: L'âge ne peut la flétrir,
Ni l'habitude épuiser l'infinie variété de ses appas.

This picture, since it's not silly, is the one I regret. But if you do turn your computer on its side, you'll see the same radiant 24-year-old who taught me French, three decades ago. The caption quotes a certain Monsieur Shakespeare, a very minor French poet, describing la Reine Cléopâtre.

You think I'm a menace now, just wait until I start making movies.