21 April 2008

An Explanation

Stop picking at your food!
Pennsylvania-style snout, photo by Kara Lack

You may have noticed that I have posted illustrations of truly disgusting pork products (Spam, scrapple, etc.), just as the Passover season begins.

This is intentional. It is my purpose to make it as easy as possible for my readers to keep Kosher.

Breaded trotters, also known as pig’s feet:
When served with cream sauce, these are quite good, actually.


Regrettably, I don’t have any pictures of the cheeseburgers at Loui’s Family Restaurant on Thayer Street, in Providence. Arguably, they were made of beef, not pork, but they might have served my purpose. For Loui’s cheeseburgers would have inspired Adolph Hitler (whose birthday coincided with Passover this year) to keep meat and dairy separate.

However, it has been brought to my attention that, since no actual milk products were used in the “cheese”, Loui’s cheeseburgers were not technically trayf. Nevertheless, as the late Brian Greenbaum once observed, “Once you’ve eaten at Loui’s, the food everywhere else seems so dry.”

Happy holidays.